One of the best tools to maximize your results is through keyword optimization via the Seller Plus exclusive Keyword Research in our Advanced Analytics feature. This enables you to:
- Compare your Gig’s existing keywords with new options for keywords
- Find the best keyword when creating a new Gig and exploring new domains
- Find the top-performing keywords in your domain
How it works
- Pick the specific category, subcategory, the service type (when relevant) that you want to analyze, on the Analytics page under the Keyword Research tab.
- Click “Show top keywords by:” located above the metrics board.
You can sort how you want to view your data by selecting the metric you want to view from the drop-down menu (ex. overall rank, conversion, etc.).
- Review your data once you’ve picked and organized your metrics.
Example: The search term “social media manager” can rank as “High” in search volume, but “Low” in terms of conversion.
Please note: The label “High”/”Medium”/”Low” indicates the ranking for a keyword in that specific category compared to other keywords.
Cheat Sheet for Analytics terminology
Overall ranking of the keyword, when accounting for all of the different metrics.
Represents how often keywords are searched relative to other terms.
Average Order Price
The average order price clients paid for a Gig after finding it through a given search term. (For example, $80 order will show $51-$100)
The conversion rate represents how often clients placed an order after searching for a given keyword.
The level of competition is based on the number of freelancers currently using this keyword.
- High Competition
The keyword appears often in Gigs relative to the number of searches it gets. Competition is “high” since the specific term/keyword is used frequently among other freelancers.
- Low Competition
The keyword is relative to the number of searches it gets, meaning it does not appear too often in Gigs—in the other words, grab it while you can!
- Select the right metrics for you
Determine which metrics are most important to you (Overall rank, search volume, avg. order price, conversion rate, etc.), filter the table accordingly, and place the strongest-performing keyword(s) in that metric category in your Gig title.
Keep in mind that the low competition is better than the high competition.
- Start with the Overall Rank
If you don’t know which metric to choose, start with the Overall rank. This shows you the top 20 keywords accounted for in all of the metrics options provided.
- Utilize strong keywords in your title & description
The top-performing keywords should be utilized and implemented in your title and description. Keep your Gig title and description clear, readable, and relevant to your Gig. Avoid confusing titles and/or overwhelming descriptions with text—this might negatively impact conversion rates.
- Review your keyword performance after 30 days
Give new keywords at least 30 days to impact your Gig’s visibility and performance before analyzing their performance.
- Use the Top Keywords tab for your existing keywords
The Top Keywords tab allows you to review the performance of terms that are already in your Gig. Use this to review how much exposure they provide for your Gig, if they lead clients to your Gig page, and if they help land you orders.
1. What is the difference between the Keyword Research tab and the Top Keywords tool?
Both the Keyword Research tab and the Top Keywords tool allow freelancers to view each keyword’s success rate, and provide insight to make changes to keywords they use in their Gig title and description.
The Keyword research tab allows freelancers to get a broader perspective on the performance of the keywords that clients have used to search in the Marketplace.
Please note that this tool shows keywords in different categories—meaning, they might not be specifically related to your Gig.
The Top Keywords tool allows freelancers to review the performance of the specific keywords that clients have used to find their Gig.
2. Why do I see words I don't use in my Gigs?
The Keyword Research tool enables you to see the top-rated searched keywords in any category, based on all of the gigs in this category.
Keep in mind, results are based on an overall analysis of the keyword search history of the entire marketplace, and not on the specific keywords you use today.
3. Do all categories appear in this feature?
Almost all categories are available in this tool.
4. Which element of the gig is the most important to focus on when optimizing my Gig’s keywords?
In addition to the positive keywords field in your Gig’s settings, the Gig title is the most important place to include your top-performing and relevant keywords.
5. How often should I optimize my keywords?
We recommend checking your keywords at least once a month to make sure you’re optimized in search results.
6. What settings should I set if I want to explore current and new Gigs?
For finding new keywords for your existing Gigs, set your Gig’s category, subcategory, and service type.
For exploring a new domain or finding keywords for new Gigs, set the relevant category, subcategory, and service type to the domain you’re interested in.